Board :Tales of the People
Author :Archon Iyagi
Subject :"The Flameless Fire" by LawAndOrder
Date :3/13
  The Divine Order sent me out to investigate a burning flame that could not be seen. I was told only the students capable of the most acute observation could unravel the mystery. Always up for a challenge, I tucked my scribe's pen into my pack along with some white paper, and set out to the strange land this flame was said to reside in.

Travel was long, yet uneventful. Upon arriving, I was greeted by some tribal natives, that just smiled at me. I wasn't told they would be expecting me, perhaps they are just pleased to get visitors. I introduced myself, and began to study immediately.

The people lived very meagerly, in comparison to those of us that reside in the great kingdoms.....yet they all seemed so happy. I was taken back by this observation, yet I have to admit I did feel abnormally peaceful there.

I watched them hunt, build, repair, cook, and clean. They performed the same duties that we do really. A few young mothers toted their children around, and often hummed what seemed to be the same melody to their children. Listening to their humming brought a sense of peace over me, like I could just relax and nap. My mother knew no such tunes. Then again, I was always too inquisitive to rest easily.

Over and over I watched their routines, yet I was no closer to finding this "Flameless Fire". No indication at all, anywhere.

I finally did get a chance to meet their Shaman, who was supposed to be capable of "Big Magic". How he was trained in the mystical arts, I haven't any idea....but he was certainly a mage. He doesn't perform his spells EXACTLY as I do, but a mage knows one of their own. When we met, it was explained to me that I was to offer a gift to get in his good graces. Not too unusual when dealing with more primitive types.

He rudely started to go through my bag, and removed my scribe's pen. Luckily, I am fairly good with keeping mental notes. I did only bring one pen, afterall. He stepped back and reached into a bag, and blew a very fine powder in my face. My nose burned, and my eyes watered. He began shaking a staff and chanting over me. I looked up at him, trying to figure out exactly what spell he was casting.....when I saw him through my Dacryomancer's tears. Rather, a vision of him in the past. The words of his chant followed a familiar rhythm. Ah yes, matching the tune the women had been humming to their children. Beautiful indeed.

He, too, was a foreigner at one time, and he was the one responsible for this "Flameless Fire". He had taught the people here to take joy in the simple things. To prosper and grow by working together. To cherish eachother and have a burning passion for life. That was the flameless fire....and he had set the entire village ablaze.

As the vision ended, the shaman stood there staring at me in disbelief. I quickly understood that he has seen a member of the Divine Order before, and knew reasonably well what had happened.

I slowly stood up, smiled at him, and assured him that his secret would not be undone by me. I would report back that the Flameless Fire is not a threat, and is within the people of this land. The Divine Order would not take action here, as I could see nothing interrupting the balance in this area....but rather this village was a balancing force to the wild areas surrounding it. I believe this to be the work of Fate, and shall treat it as such.

Rather by magic, or simply by education, I felt he had changed this land, and the people did seem to be genuinely happy, and productive.

I was glad to have experienced the Flameless Fire, and to close the book on another great mystery. I am grateful that he used his talents for good things. I feel his Yang energy brings balance to that land.

~LawAndOrder~